Thursday 18 April 2013

Reflection for ES2002

It has been a few weeks since my last blog post and now that my report, FOP and FIPD were over, I guess it is a great time to reflect upon what I have gained and learned throughout this entire course.

My first test was the GT and to think about it, GT was really a turning point for me. Without the GT, I wouldn't have realised the mistakes that I would never have been conscious about. Since the GT, I would always make it a point to reflect back and remind myself that I need to be softer, slower and, not to forget, that content is the gist of the whole presentation.

The next test that I had was the report writing component. Drawing out lessons from the GT, I told myself that content is the king of a report and I must work doubly hard on understanding the issue. I did a lot of research in order to draw out the appropriate links. Of course, considerable amount of time was also put in to make the report comprehensible (and of course, to meet the word limit). FOP came not long afterwards. To be honest, I was really anxious with the FOP because I really want to do well for the presentation. The situation was compounded further when I realised that I had really poor eye-contact during the trial practice. On top of the 3 problems that I had in GT, I had to improve my eye connection with the audiences and it took me, admittedly, quite a long while before I could “re-wire” my eyes to make such connection. I was really relieved my hard works in producing and delivering good content was eventually paid off by edging ahead of my friends (and I must admit that they did really well too!). In term of delivery, I was really happy that my eye contact had improved drastically and my pacing and volume was also improving. On the consultation day, Brad and I had a heart-to-heart talk and I realised that to be a better presenter, I would have to establish more authentic eye contact. Using cartoon in presentation had also provoked controversy (maybe the word “controversy” is a bit serious but I really take their opinions seriously) and I told Brad again how I could work round this problem. Brad enlightened me that I could use real photographs and probably I could start establishing a photo-bank, which I thought is a great idea especially when I am still so young. J

I went home that day and I sat down deep in thoughts, pondering on the things that I could improve on as well as how I could make “authentic” eye contact that Brad was referring to. I am not sure if I had gotten what Brad had meant about the "authentic" eye contact but during the FIPD, I attempted to create more lasting eye contacts with my audiences by looking at them more deeply and passionately during the FIPD. I also put in considerable efforts in improving my pacing as well as the volume. Of course, not to forget, the content was only done after considerable understanding of the issue. Photographs (instead of cartoons) were also used in the slides. However, FIPD came at a "tough" time, especially when I had 4 presentations in that week alone and the week before the FIPD, I just had my FOP and marketing presentations. I am not sure if I am coping and doing it well but I did put in my very best.

And today, I had my last lesson with Brad. I am really happy to hear that Brad was proud to see my improvements from the GT to the Report to the FOP and finally the FIPD. I wanted to say to you in class (but I am pretty shy because I am introvert who prefers to pen down my feelings) that I am really proud to be your student and to have you as my tutor. Thank you, Brad (as well as the very warming ice miloJ). Really hope Brad could get to see this message.

Here a summary of what I have learned and of course, these would serve as important reminders for for all my future presentations. Thank you ES2002.

Learning Points from GT
-         Pacing should be slower
-         Volume/voice should be softer
-         More efforts are needed to improve the content

Learning Points from Report
-         Choice of words can be more positive (e.g. Don’t use words like “complaints”. Instead, use words like “concerns”.)

Learning Points from FOP
-         Establish “authentic” eye contacts
-         Using real photographs and establish a photo-bank

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Qi Long, for this comprehensive post summing up some of the key points of your learning from ES2002. I like the way you move through a description of the various assignments here, and I am impressed that you found that the course and our interactions were so beneficial. Of course, that is the goal in teaching, that a student can be encouraged to critically reflect on his or her needs in light of the established goals and work from there. You did a great job this term confronting your weaknesses (in presenting in particular) and striving to address those. The proof, as they say, is in the pudding: You made tremendous progress.

    Also, I do appreciate the effort you made with these blog posts, Qi Long. In writing these you've had a chance to look back at both the struggles and the accomplishments.

    All the best in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brad and please forgive me for some of the grammar and language errors that I committed in this blog post (I had spotted and corrected a few while I was re-reading the post just now.)

    I would continue to work hard on my presentation skills and once again, thank you so much for your guidance throughout the whole course.

    ReplyDelete