Friday 25 January 2013

Interpersonal Conflict

It was the first day of 2013 and just like any other New Year; I would go to the barber and get a haircut because receiving a haircut symbolises a brand new start. As expected, the small barber shop that I frequent was packed to the hilt.

While waiting for my turn, I heard a commotion behind me. I didn’t want to be a nosy parker but the noise was so loud that I could overhear exactly what they were saying. It was a disagreement between a mother and a daughter and apparently, the daughter had gotten a few shapes tattooed on her right shoulders and was also caught smoking. Clearly, you could see that her mother was mad. Her mother was chastising her openly in the public. She also demanded her daughter to remove those tattoos at once. The nasty lecture, which obviously fell on deaf ears, got her daughter so riled up and in no time at all, it had escalated into an exchange of vulgarities and finger-pointing.

I could see that the initial intention of her mother was meant to be good but her approach (hmmm…) really need to be overhauled.

Food for thought

If you were her mother, what would you do so that you could impose your idea (like you should stop smoking) and at the same time, respect your child’s rights and freedoms?

3 comments:

  1. Interesting post, Qi Long. I look forward to your classmates' responses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I'm the mother I would not argue with the daughter in the public, as it is a bad example for the daughter. When adult do not set example how can we expect child to learn the correct way.

    Instead of chastising daughter openly in the public,I would talk to her nicely at home. Even thought she is just youth but I need to give her some "face", chastising her in public she would feel no "face" and her friends maybe just near by, thus she would resist and fight back. If such conversation is to take place at home most likely she would admit her fault and not to do it again.

    Most of youth smoked for fun or because of peer pressures. I would ask her for the reasons why she is smoking, and from there I would explain to her why she should not smoke and I would explain to her that smoking is harmful to her body and her future children.

    Any way my point is in such situation we need to be patient and using listening skill. Sometimes the situation is much easier to handle if we give the other party a chance to explain why they are doing certain things.

    As for the freedoms and child's rights, I agree that all child should have their own freedoms that rights. However there are lines they should not cross etc smoking and tattoo.


    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Qi Long, avoid words like "didnt" because you are writing a proper blog post not a conversation text with your friend. Secondly, careful of your tenses like "I could overhear".. is a wrong grammar sentence. Because you do not say I could overhear but rather I could literally hear exactly what they were saying.

    "which obviously fell on deaf ears" - Whose deaf ears?

    But overall, I feel that your content is concise and straight to the point. Good use of vocabulary words too. (:

    BYE :D

    ReplyDelete